Lately, it has felt like we have overdone the same old smoothies. While they taste great, our taste buds are ready for a change!
This delightful Peaches ‘N Cream Smoothie hit the spot for us this morning. I will share the ones we love as we discover new great flavors!
Let’s discuss smoothies for a brief minute. From some health experts, I hear how awesome smoothies are, and from others not so awesome.
So, what is the deal? Why are there conflicting viewpoints?
Well, it all has to do with what you put in a smoothie…
Some smoothies are healthy, nutritious, and won’t sky rocket your blood sugar levels (you know that feeling you get when you eat too much sugar?), and other smoothies do the opposite.
Here is how you can know:
- Does it have you add fruit juice? Even though your juice may be 100% fruit juice, it is still LOTS of sugar that has the same effect on our blood sugar levels as if we just drank cool-aid. Choose liquids like almond milk, coconut water, coconut milk, or water. For things like orange juice, try throwing in a whole orange.
- Are you adding in vegetables? Vegetables add in great fiber and totally explode your smoothie with nutrients. Fiber is what helps stabilize your blood sugar levels (stable blood sugar levels means less moody and more energy! Oh…and won’t cause diabetes). Always add at least 1 vegetable in and increase the amount as you desire.
- Does it include dairy? Smoothies can quickly end up as a milkshake where they lack nutrition and is just a dairy treat. Remember, our focus is the fruits and veggies. Keep that dairy clean (purest form) and don’t go overboard! And if you’re feeling bloated, have an unhealthy gut, or wanting to lose weight, skip it!!
- How much added sweetener does it use? Keep it minimal if using. I find most of them don’t need any. If you do use some, always choose honey.
- Does it include process ingredients? Always stick to real food. It’s the only way to be healthy. Period. The. End. Need a guide to know what real food is at your mainstream grocery store? Yup, me too…
Let me know how you like this smoothie recipe in the comments below…love your feedback. <3 What’s your favorite flavor smoothie???