I love having a new year at hand. It’s like waking up to a new day with a clean slate, but on a much grander scale. It feels fresh, exciting, and invigorating. What amazing things can you make happen? What will bring more joy and happiness to you or to your family? How can you improve to make a big difference in your life or in the lives of others?
My 2018 goals overall went well. I didn’t achieve every goal, but find that 2018 was a year of much growth for our family and for me personally. I took breaks from social media, took on mountain biking and pickleball to be more active, moved into a beautiful place we call home, and finished reading the scriptures in 2 1/2 months.
I used to set goals by saying I was going to do better at something. I soon learned that setting goals isn’t saying a simple phrase, such as, I’m going to eat healthier and exercise more. Setting goals is all about creating the action plan. The How and Why and then following through.
Make. It. Happen.
One of the ways I come up with my goals is by evaluating my mental, physical, and spiritual health. Each of these are intertwined. When one is lacking, the others begin to lack too. Each facet is so important and will greatly enrich your life when each one is cultivated. So, I always start with these three, and then add on additional goals as necessary.
- Dive deeper with educating myself on health and wellness. Specifically gut-health. I will make this happen by listening/watching educational videos, attending seminars, working one-on-one with individuals, and more.
- Work on my own mental health through rebalancing my gut. Believe it or not, I have come to see over the last couple of years, that my anxiety levels are rising as I get older. I want to get this back to a healthier level so I can thrive in other parts of my life. I will make this happen by using high quality probiotics that have specific strands that target mental health.
- Read my scriptures more often. I can tell a big difference in how I feel and my overall countenance when I begin to let this slide by the wayside. I will make this happen by listening in the car on my way home from driving the kids to school. I actually started this habit the last few months and it works amazing for me in this stage of life.
- Pray more often. This is a religious choice. I believe in a spiritual power that comes from prayer. Research shows that people who have faith in a greater being worry less and are more grounded. When you pray, you build your faith and will worry less and be more even keel. It’s kind of nice to not have the weight of the world on your shoulders and to know you can ask for help. I will make this happen by setting a time each day to have an intentional prayer.
- Get back to my pre-baby weight. Yes, I still have weight to lose even though my baby is 14 months. It all has to do with not being intentional with the food I eat. Eating too much or eating junk food is what happens when I’m not being intentional with what I’m putting in my body. I love my body…it works great. It would feel even better if I didn’t have those last 10 lbs. on. 🙂 I will make this happen by joining in on an “intentional” health challenge with some girlfriends for January and February.
- Continue mountain biking, playing pickleball, and hiking with my family. I will make this happen by marking these activities in the calendar ahead of time.
- Reach my business goals by educating and inspiring others toward healthier living for a happier life. I will make this happen by continuing to blog and meeting new friends.
- Spend more time individually with each of kids. I will make this happen by calendaring in simple things in order to be with them individually each week.
These are my baseline goals. I make adjustments throughout the year if necessary.
If you have included eating healthier on your 2019 goals, then you’ll want to check out my Healthy Grocery List for Mainstream Grocery Stores in my Freebie Library. It shares what I buy regularly without breaking the bank. And, they are items you can find at most mainstream grocery stores.
I’d love to hear some of your goals and how you will make them happen! Tell me in the comments!
You're invited to join our exclusive, free community of passionate people looking to improve their health.
Are you in!?