Shop only at Health-Food Grocery Stores. Just kidding…I am not that girl. While I really like health-food stores, it’s not always budget friendly or convenient. I spend most of my shopping at mainstream grocery stores and have picked up a few great tips along the way to make shopping for the healthy stuff easier. It’s not always easy to know what is “healthy”, what is perceived as “healthy” but isn’t, and what is plain garbage.
Adapt these tips into your mindset and habits, and you’ll find grocery shopping to be not as much a mystery! In addition, feel free to pick up my handy Mainstream Grocery Store List to let it all become clear.
5 TIPS TO HELP YOU SHOP THE HEALTHY STUFF:
- Shop Perimeters: Have you ever noticed how almost all of the real food is placed along the perimeters of your grocery store? Lucky us! This helps a lot when it comes to knowing where real food is located. I like how this keeps me away from the processed food aisles most of the time. An added bonus to only shopping the outer edges of the grocery store is your shopping will be done MUCH quicker! Eliminate the aisles, saves you time. Anything that saves me time, money, and health…I’m there. 😉
- Spend Most of Your Time in the Produce Section: This can take some getting used to, if you’re one to spend only 3 minutes grabbing some bananas and carrots. But it’s true. Most of your time should be spent in the produce department because these are the foods that nourish our bodies the most. Grab the fruits and veggies your kids will have as snacks for the week, buy your family’s favorite fruits and serve it once dinner is over as a sweet treat, buy bags of prepared greens as a quick salad at dinner or as a lunch. Call me nerdy, but I love the colors of the produce department. The prettier and cleaner a store can make their produce department, the more enjoyable it is to shop there and crave good food.
- Avoid the Frozen Food Aisles, Except for Frozen Produce: Not much to say here except there’s only highly processed foods that make your feel tired, moody, bloated, and depressed. Walk on by…
- Health Food Department Isn’t Always Healthy: True! It’s called the “Health Food Section” but it actually has a lot of highly processed foods as well! What the heck, right!? I think they give it that department name because generally, it’s higher priced foods and so they assume it must be healthy (haha…I don’t really know.). In addition, it has brands that claim to be better food items. And, some are, but some aren’t. This is where you really have to learn how to avoid those health claims on the front of your packages and dive in with what is actually in the product.
- Go Prepared with a Shopping List: Studies show that shopping with a list and sticking to it, will greatly reduce you overall expenditures on groceries. Plan your meals, write down what to buy (I love using OneNote app for my weekly shopping list), and don’t buy extra unless you need it. Key word is need. 😉
Because I know how confusing and frustrating shopping the healthy stuff can be, I created a Mainstream Grocery Store List to help you navigate toward what is actually real food. No more questioning the best crackers or condiments. I also indicated which items to be sure to buy organic and which ones leave be. 🙂
Let me know if the Grocery List has helped you in the comments below. And, share below with a friend you’re teaming up with to become healthy. 🙂
Do you have any grocery tips that make shopping easier for you?
Never Miss a Blog Post....
And Receive Additional Bonuses, Cheat Sheets, and Updates...